View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Alternative Schools 
All-star
All-star

I have often wondered if I would not be happier teaching at an alternative type of school. One of the biggest reasons is due to the beurocracy faced in public schools, and the opportunity at both private and charter schools for more control over curriculum development. Futhermore, one might be able to find a school that more closely reltes to their own philisophical and educational missions. These however are just assumptions because I have very little education about schools other than public. I've know a few Montessori students, and read a bit about Waldorf schools as well. I've known a few Catholic school graduates too. So I was wondering if any of you could please shed some light for me on this topic either from personal experiences, research, or from friends or family teaching or attending a different type of school.

Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Lauren, I agree with you and that sometimes the politics of our state and nation can cause more problems than they solve in public schools, but I also believe that despite this we need reallly good teachers in public schools. You seem to be a really caring person and a fair person to everyone, no matter what race or what gender. I think that you would do really well in public schools because that's where you are more likely to see a variety of races and cultures. I think that some of the experiences you have gone through with how people have judged you and the way you look will help make you a better teacher. I know sometimes that politicians think they know what's best even though they have never taught a day in their lives, but please think about public school because I think you could make a big impact in the lives of many kids with many different backgrounds. :)

Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]