View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Teacher/friend 
All-star
All-star

I have heard this repeated to me so many times and I wanted to see what you guys think about it, "Being a teacher to a student is more important that being a friend."

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it is more important to be a teacher than a student's friend. As teachers we are professionals who work for the state to educate students. This does not require friendship. If friendship results from good teaching practices, then so be it, but the important thing is to uphold professional standards.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:59 pm
All-star
All-star

You know, I think they're both important. I never really felt like I got much, other than a sense of resentment, from teachers that didn't even seem to care about me. I always liked, and felt I learned more from, those teachers who treated me with caring and were willing to be a friend. HOWEVER, I feel that the point of that statement is to make sure teachers don't step over the line. It is of the utmost importance to maintain your position of authority and respect your position as a role-model. You're an educator first...but its important to be a friend second.

Sat May 01, 2004 12:45 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that you need to be an educator first, but you also need that friend relationship with your students. All of my favorite teachers from elementary school and high school, even college are those that i felt like i could go to with a problem. I think the personal relationship is very important to gain your students respect and confidence. I know i always worked harder in my classes where i had that relationship with the teacher.

Sat May 01, 2004 10:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]