View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Transgender Insurance 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ok so did anyone else catch the part about having insurance pay for the gender change on the video? I DO NOT think that should be allowed considering insurance does not pay for any type of cosmetic surgery! What do you think?!?! Should insurance help cover this gender change?

Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that they didn't pay. I know for the man whose face was blacked out he specifically said that insurance wouldn't pay.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I think what Staci was saying is that the guy was suggesting that insurance didn't cover it and should. It sounded like he expected them to pay for it since he is a taxpayer and so on. I agree that as long as insurance does not pay for things like cosmetic surgery, or lots of other doctor bills that are not covered, sex changes shouldn't be either. I know of people who have had to pay to have precancerous cells removed without the help of insurance companies, I think situations like that should be taken care of before sex changes. (I hope this dosen't sound like I am against these surgeries or the people that have them because that is not the case)

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, insurance is a touchy issue and with soo many people even unable to have insurance to take care of basic care, why should we pay for those types of surgeries? People who need it to help cover med bills out of their hands can not get it covered, why should it cover something that is a choice for people?

Linda Brock

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:24 am
All-star
All-star

Is it a choice? Do you think that these people really choose to go through the ridicule and suffering? I think not!!

Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"Choice" is a word that creeps up in conversations about this topic all the time. In fact, I'll choose not to volunteer my opinion on the transgender topic because I'm nearly certain that it clashes with most everyone else's in the class- and that's okay. Anyway, I think the word "choice" has come up in this post because some people feel the same way that I do in that those on the video choose to undergo an expensive operation that has little to do with bettering or maintaining their physical health. Yes, you can choose to, or not to, have surgery to repair or remove something that will eventually kill you, if left alone. But complaining because you were born a woman and think you should have been a man seems trivial to those who are dying because insurance can't cover an operation or medication that will at least give a person the rest of his or her life.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree that the word choice tends to start controversy involving sex-change and gay or lesbian issues, and the truth is, i'm not gay and i don't think i'm a man trapped in a woman's body, so i can't know if it's a choice or not, and i can't begin to understand what living a life like that would be like. as far as the insurance is concerned, i think that since it is an ELECTIVE surgery, and the person is not going to die from not having it, it shouldn't be covered under insurance.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I DO NOT think insurance should cover these types of surgeries that people do not have to have. There are people who need by-pass surgeries and cancer treatments, who need insurance. It is ridiculous.

I was very disturbed by the movie. I believe that God made you to be a man or a woman and that is how it is. Yes, males do have female hormones and vice versa. I just do not understand the way these people think.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that having this type of surgery is definately a choice. Some transgendered people CHOOSE to have the surgery while others CHOOSE not to as we saw on the video. I definately don't think that an elective surgery such as this should be covered by insurance. That would make it all the more difficult for people who need surgeries to save their lives to deal with getting insurance to cover it. Mandy, the movie also disturbed me, and I cannot understand this trend either.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One more thought on this and I promise I'll drop it. One of the persons on the video announced that the rush of transgenderism is the last big "thing" of the century, after equal rights for women, and gays and lesbians. Here's my question: since this has only crept up at the very end of this most recent passing of a century, where were all of these people in the last 2000+ years? I do understand that they feel more comfortable coming out now, but sex-change surgery is only a VERY recent thing, and since this is such a huge deal and so many people are suffering from it, why is it so much more difficult to deal with now, and nothing was ever brought up about it until recently? I apologize if I sound insensitive or ignorant, and I do realize some people truly feel uncomfortable in their own bodies. But honestly, if someone is suddenly willing to go to the length of spending well over $30,000 in cash to reduce or add breasts and change their natural genitalia, what did everyone else before them do? Don't shoot- I'm just asking.

Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Great point Jack. I just don't understand the sudden need for this. I am not in these peoples' shoes and I am trying my hardest to be as sympathetic as possible, but it just seems like this is a lot of money and I can't for the life of me understand why that one little change would make such a difference. The following statement is going to sound completely crazy but I really hope this isn't as big a trend as the video says!!! Who will continue making the babies?!?!?

Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't want to include faith in this. I think that everyone should have a voice. That does not however mean that we will all agree or listen but, we definetly don't know everything. What would you do if someone you loved came to you saying they were transgendered? You never really know I guess until you live it, or with it.

Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think maybe if you were born with both and the doctor changed you to a female and you really thought you were a male vice versa Do you think insurence should pay for corrective surgery or is that an issue of taking the doctor to court and having his insurence pay for it. At any rate I think maybe that should be covered by insurence. The other I'm not sure except I do think that as long as it is the socially in thing for women to shave their legs then electrolysis should be covered on insurence.

Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:12 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]