View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Corporal punishment 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was wondering how you guys felt about corporal punishment in the school system. Do any of you remember paddling while you were in elementary school?

Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I am against it in a school setting. I think that it should be left up to the parents or guardians to make that decision for themselves.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Also: School should be an enivronment where children feel safe and encouraged and supported - it seems that CP could create a great deal of fear and fear does not lead to learning.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:31 am
All-star
All-star

I also think that if teachers or administrators use corporal punishment in schools, they are putting themselves at risk. I definately do not think that it should be up to school personnel to use corporal punishment. If a situation arises at school where they feel corporal punishment should be used, I think they should contact the parents and let the parents use corporal punishment if that is what they want. I think if the parents choose to discipline their child this way, that's up to them. However, I definately think a school is not the place for it to occur.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:20 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In elementary school I attended a private school and they still had the paddle. I remember having to go to the principal's office once to finish taking a test and I cried the entire time because I knew he was going to bring out the paddle since I couldn't finish on time. So personally I feel CP creates a fearful attitude around the school. Besides shouldn't your principal be someone you can look up to and talk to if needed. After I left that private school where CP was used principals were no longer people out to trap you. And I always felt more comfortable around them. So anyway I don't think it should be allowed.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Okay, my mom was an elementary school principal who paddled. That was what her school did and it was acceptable, my school did it also. I agree that schools should make their students feel safe, but I also feel spanking is okay if it is done right. Some schools ask permission from the parents before they spank the children and I believe this is okay. I don't have a problem with spanking as long as it is done okay. I also think someone else should be present if spanking is going to happen. Many schools in Wilkes County still use spanking as a way of disciplining their students.

Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:56 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]