View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Homosexuality 
All-star
All-star

I was disappointed that we were unable to discuss homosexuality during class, especially because it is such a controversial and timely topic. I was wondering about the class’s thoughts on if homosexuality is a learned behavior or a born behavior? Please don't stoop down to the "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" defense.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am almost certain that homosexuality is in some people's genes. I do think some people are born with it, but I also think that some people use it for an attention grasper.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do believe that homosexuality is a chosen act. I believe that it is something that we all choose to either engage in or not. I have evidence to help back me up. I got this from a web site that I will connect a link to, but below is a copy and pasted portion of the site showing how homosexuality is not an issue of genes. It came out that they were close to unveiling the homosexual gene but they were wrong as the article below states. So feel free to read it and see for your self.

:!: :!: Copied from article :!: :!:

Myth #2: Homosexuals are born gay
Can someone be born a homosexual? In 1993, a respected research journal, Science, published a study by Dean Hamer that ignited an explosive “born gayâ€

Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:34 pm
All-star
All-star

By this same reasoning, heterosexuality is a choice as well. Who are we to say that one choice is right and the other is wrong? Who are we to sit in judgement and condem the actions of our fellow humans?

Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I looked at the source of your reference, It was from Family.org. This source is an extreme side of the issue. This is the same organization that puts together a daily radio show called "Focus on the Family" Focus on the family is hardly a source of unbiased information. I hope that when we become teachers that we can utilize the internet as an effective fact gathering source but also be able to identify the validity of the source. I'm sure somewhere on the internet there is a site praising the accomplshments of Hitler, but is that alone enough to raise him to hero status.

Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ok well first off Derek you are using a self-defeating argument there. In other words how can you say that we are all right when I am not allowed to be right? Or if you rather what also gives you the right to condemn me and tell me that I am wrong. That is not a sound argument, which is why I am trying to use facts to argue my point. Second off I feel that my source is sound. I have followed the links to where they got their information and again it all appears to be more of a social issue rather then a scientifically issue. If you follow the links in the references you will be lead to an article which again is scientifically based and please read it before you decide for your self if it is indeed scientifically based or not. And if you think that I am still using bad science then please research the topic further and show me where I am wrong. It is easy to write off someone’s information as radical and untrue but harder to do the research yourself. Yes that’s a challenge. Instead of just saying my info is wrong please show me exactly how it is. Besides wasn't what "The Allegory of the Cave" was all about? Finding truth and not being afraid of it. Being bold enough to go into the light and see what the world was all about.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:21 am
All-star
All-star

You have totally misconstrued the point of my last post. No where in my post did I say that you were wrong. I have no problem with considering homosexuality a choice. What I am saying is that if it is a choice, however, it should be equally valued as the choice of heterosexuality. I did read the article that you referenced, while the research may be valid and I have no problem with that, the problem I have is the way the article is using this research in a very biased, preachy way

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Derek I do apologize for misunderstanding your posts. I am not trying to drag you down here. And my point was however that yes I totally agree we all have the choice to either be homosexual or heterosexual. That is not what I was trying to debate with you. But that just as you have the right to think I am wrong so do I have the right to think that one decision is better than the other. I take a Christian viewpoint here. According to the Bible Homosexuality is a sin and thus I would recommend that as Christians we flee from sin. But please also let me clarify one additional point. Just because I view homosexuality as a sin does not mean that I am condemning anyone. I did not write the Bible. The Bible is God's word and thus God is the one who will one day do the judging. My stand for anything no matter what the sin is that all men are created equally and deserve to be treated so. I do not view myself as better then anyone else because in my mind we all sin thus are all equal. But the Bible does set my opinion of right and wrong. So that is where I get my moral standard. But again I'm sorry if what I said seemed like I was attacking you. The part about the research was more directed towards Jeff because he claims it is biased. And I am also sorry if you think it is wrong to have a Biblical view of what is wrong and right (aka a preachy attitude). But that we could fight about all day long and never get anywhere because that is a matter of whose faith is correct.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like I'm entering into a private discussion here! I apologize for being bold enough for posting just my opinion and not having anything to back it up with. I feel that homosexuality is innate. The best argument I can offer is simply: Why would anyone choose to place themself in such an ill-fated lifestyle? Homosexuals get no respect. Watching the hermaphrodite video in class supported my belief that people are born with certain tendencies. I think that doctors should tell parents if both sexual features are present so that the children don't live very confusing, repressed, and depressing lives. Not challenging your article, because hey Jennifer, you went to the trouble to support your opinion, I would like to point out the quote about how homosexuals seem to be getting "allowances" from the government. How is that so? Insurance benefits don't apply to same-sex couples, family status doesn't apply, credit status/reports can't be combined like with "normal" couples, adoption is much harder, marriage is still largely against the law...I wish I had my homosexual friend here to rant and rave about his undeniable yet unpriveleged lifestyle, but I'll just settle for what I remember.

Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Natalie, Thank you for posting that! I also believe that homosexuality is innate. I also wanted to say that I believe I am also coming from the christian viewpoint in saying judge not lest you be judged. There is no way that I nor anyone else who is heterosexual can sit here and say what is really right or wrong because I have no clue what it is like to be homosexual. Reading this post has been enlightening!

Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have said, from the first time that this topic or topics like these came up, that I question a LOT. I absolutely do not condemn someone for being homosexual. I just don't understand a lot of the things that go along with it. I don't understand why someone would "choose to live with grief and wake up everyday to nothing but fingers being pointed at them." So I ask lots of questions. At the same time, I'm not sure I understand why there are even males AND females if more and more people of the same sex are suddenly going to start realizing they're in love. Is not the purpose of two distinct sexes to further their own race? Two men can't reproduce; two women can't do it... Why have both male and female types of animals? I totally disagree with people being persecuted for their beliefs, whatever they are. I believe what I believe and I would feel terrible if someone trashed me for it. But, if you have a question about or don't understand or agree with what I believe, ASK.

Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:53 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]