View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Social Class in Education 
All-star
All-star

In reference to the article by Jean Anyon (p. 127), I think the teaching methods I remember from high school were a combination of those described in the working class and middle class schools. I might have had one or two teachers during those four years whose methods would have meshed with the affluent professional school and none who would have been teaching at the elite school. That's fine, I certainly didn't grow up in a town with a high population of elites (Kings Mountain, NC). Why doesn't serious analytic discussion and debate occur at a working or middle class school like mine? Does the supposed importance of rote memorization and simple-minded papers and "projects" come down from principals at these schools or is it possibly the result of individual teachers? You could never do it, but I wonder what would happen if you took an entire class of elite students and switched them with a working class group for a year, or vice-versa. I'd like to know where everyone else thinks their school fits into these descriptions and how they think their education might have been affected by it. Thanks.

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that what it boils down to is values. It would seem that a community based around factory workers sees more value in facts, figures, and basic skills because that is what is most often used in a factory. In general, a factory floor is not exactly a hotbed of thinktanks and brainstorming. Because this is the value of the families, this is the value of the schools. I think it makes sense.

As for my school in particular, it also was a mixture of the different teaching styles. I think had may have had a little more of the higher level thinking skills, however, in my AG classes.

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:22 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]