View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Sex! This should be interesting... 
All-star
All-star

Amy asked "what would you incorporate into your classroom that is currently not allowed?" and Cassandra's response sparked my interest. She said that she would show her students how to use condoms and talk about the risks of STDs because she wants to ban ignorance.

I feel strongly that the current AIDS epidemic and ever-increasing rate of teenage pregnancy will not go away with silence. But does talking about sex and acting like it's prevalent in the life of every teenager encourage teenage sex? Is it better to send a message of abstinence when it isn't practiced by everyone? What would you do in your classroom?

This is a sensitive topic to many people. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it, but I'd love to hear from you all!

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

anyway, i dont think it encourages sex. i think its plain ol' common sense.
lets face it, many teens are never going to accept abstinence as an answer, so we might as well educate them about how to protect themselves from pregnancy and diseases.
you can do this without acting like teen sex is somehow acceptable or normal

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was reading that in order for state to get Federal funding for sex ed they can only use it to teach programs that advocate abstinence unitl marriage. They are prohibited from discussing condoms use with the exception of failure rate. The only states that refuse the cash is California, Arizona, and Pennsylvania.

I think sex ed should be more than teaching abstinence because there is so many young people getting pregnant. Obviously abstinence talk isn't helping everyone.

I don't think now it's whether we teach condom use or not. It's getting the states to refuse the money so we can teach it.

Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I recently went to New York in the Spring where they do teach about safe sex and have condoms in the office for the kids use. We asked the principal about it and he said that hardly ever does a kid come into the office and get a condom. I think teenagers will be teenagers regardless of what we teach them in school. I don't think any picture will change a kid's mind while in the back seat of a car. Kids do need to be educated, but I don't think teaching them about sex would change what they are going to do.

Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I think whatever you teach you have to be careful not to infringe on the parents rights. I do believe that kids need to be throughly educated about the risks involved with sex and the about the different viewpoints that they undoubtly they will come across later on. I don't think anyone could make the right decision for themselves in regards to the issue without knowing all the facts. As teachers, I think it's important for us to prepare students for the real world and unfortunately that does include racey topics such as sex.

Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:02 pm
All-star
All-star

With the growing number of STD's and AIDS cases, I feel that as teachers we should get the news out there to children because otherwise they could become another statistic. I don't think we should take over the parents role, but I do feel that sex education should be apart of school. So many children out there don't know the facts and just think that sex is fun, but in reality, sex is scary because of all of the diseases.

Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think preaching abstinance helps as much as people think it should. Yes, it does keep some teens from sex, but the ones who choose to participate in sex need to be educated about it. I mean, honestly:
health teacher: "Sex is bad. Abstain."
hot model on tv: particpating in a sexual act
hot model in a magazine: pictured in a sexual pose
slogans for any product: mention or hint at sex
You really think that one influential force is going to overrule all the media support of sex? NO! so instead of letting teens get a glossed over, "ooo pretty!" idea of sex, let them know what it really is all about. Tell them about the blisters and rashes and warts they can get. Tell them about how they can protect themselves from these kinds of things, or places they can go to get help if they have them. Just telling kids "sex is bad. don't do it. you'll get warts." isn't enough information. Let them know about resources available to them. And ENCOURAGE THEM TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE RESOURCES SHOULD THEY CHOOSE NOT TO ABSTAIN.

Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There is an aspect of personal development (sexually as well as others) that is part of the middle grades curriculum. Last semester I had a class that brought in a guest speaker to address this integration. Even in a college classroom you still get the snickers and giggles. We recieved a packet of info to use from the speaker, overall the materails are a beneficial resource for my classroom.

cs60119@appstate.edu

Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think we should be teaching both abstinance and how to protect yourself. This way you are teaching to both groups of kids and they can pick what is best for them.

Kendall :D

Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would have to agree with Kendall. Each person is going to make their own decision regarding sex or not. The students should be taught about protection and the risks involved with sexual action. Teachers cannot make up the minds of the students put by teaching them the different aspects and consequences of sexual action, then it will help the students make up their mind.

Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:44 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, I believe we should be educating kids about the risks of having unprotected sex and their options for protecting themselves. I think one of the worst parts about abstinence-only educ. is that those kids who do still end up having sex are much more likely to be unprotected. If they either aren't aware or don't have enough information to prepare themselves beforehand, most who do find themselves in an intimate situation will not have the will power to say no every time.

Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that Sex Ed should be taught in schools. I do not beleive in only teaching abstinence, because I think that this is unrealistic in today's society. Whether or not kids have sex is a persoal choice, but if they do choose to have sex, I think that they should be well educated and prepared to practice safe sex. While many feel that it is the parent's job to teach their kids about sex, alot of parents don't , and therefore it falls on someone else to educate kids on the subject.

Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow, you guys, being the one who started this whole circus feels kindof funny now as I'm reading all the replies. What a hot topic! Obviously, we all have so many different points of view coming into this, and I also think that Kendall's approach is probably the most angelic- trying to please everyone at once would be ideal here. But I would like to mention that the source of my comment about banning ignorance comes from an idea I've gotten from studies on the news and in magazines about STD's and pregnancy.
It goes like this: if a young woman is raised in an environment where she is told to abstain from sex in all instances, then she would also be in a situation where condoms were virtually unmentioned and STD's were a nightmarish concept, about as real as Cinderella's fairy godmother. If, then, this young woman were to find a male totally and mind-blowingly attractive in the root of her Dionysiac self, her most prevalent feeling would be guilt. She would feel ashamed about her desires because of the regard to sex in her upbringing. Then, it has been said, if this young woman were to get freaky with the object of her affection, she would be much less likely to use protection because of her guilt and ignorance. She simply wouldn't really know any better, or at least not in concrete terms. :oops:

Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will keep this simple. If you don’t talk about it I can promise you it won’t go away. So with that said lets educate our children instead of turning our heads. The stats are there… abstinence isn’t working… just ask jenny sue over here that is 13 and pregnant. If were going to have sex education than let’s make it worth there time.

Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:43 pm
All-star
All-star

i agree that this is a super sensative topic but since i plan on teaching high school i feel that in today's society sex education needs a little more attention. While i defintly feel that abstenice should be what is mainly taught, students are going to do what they want to do reguardless.So my opinion is that if they are going to do it and take that huge risk then i would at least want to teach them to be safe about it.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what most of the people said. I don't think that it will just go away if we ignore it and abstinence is not working. Teenage pregnancy is continually increasing and we need to show students how to use what is availiable to them. But i do know, like Melissa said, that we as teachers can't teach anything but abstinence if our school takes federal money.

Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:54 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 16 posts ]