View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Important Issues to Teachers 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Recently, I received a phonecall concerning the upcoming election. They asked me several questions and my opinions concerning several topics. One of the questions they asked me was, of these four things, which do you think would benefit schools most?
1. Smaller Class Size
2. Increase in Teacher Salary
3. Increased Spending Budget for Schools
4. More non-certified positions in the school (teacher's aides)

I was just wondering what you would have given for your answer.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That's a hard question to answer, especially when our school systems could use all of those! I think that an increase in budget would help out tremendously; if the budget is larger then schools could more readily accomidate larger class sizes, teachers wouldn't have to spend money out of their own pocket, and there would be more money to help improve the school as a whole. The lack of books and supplies in many schools is outrageous and it's hard to be a hands-on, creative teacher when you have nothing to work with...but again...all would be nice. :D

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:24 pm
All-star
All-star

Schools needs each one of those things. I would have to say that an increase in the budget would benefit the education system the best. It would allow us to get the materials we need to teach children so that we aren't relying on our pocket money. More money would provide us with more books and manipulatives that children could use to learn different subjects.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:06 pm
All-star
All-star

hmmmm... personally i feel that either smaller class sizes or more teacher aids would benefit teachers more. With either of these i feel that with a smaller teacher to student ratio things would just go alot better in a classroom. Teachers wouldnt feel as streched or stressed and could devote more individual time to each student and thier specific needs. Students would probably feel more comfortable in the class room, not being intimidated by so many peers and would recieve the attention they deserve.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that even though they would all be great, more uncertified positions in the school would help the most. The budget may be down, but there would be more heads to brainstorm how to get around the dollars and cents. More people working in the schools would also be a great benefit because teachers and their aides would be in constant collaboration. I beleive that the more fresh and individual ideas that come into one specific topic, the better the chances are that the students will succeed and understand.
Although we all know that teachers are seriously underpaid, I think that these two are seperate issues. Giving them all more money won't solve the issues that we're having in schools insofar as learning is concerned. I think that giving them support and other adults to interact with about teaching would help everyone, although I'm totally not against increasing the average teacher's wage.

Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That's a hard one. I would be stuck between smaller class sizes and increased spending budget. Both are so important within the schools. I think if the budget is increased then everyone around would benefit from that. It would allow teachers to have more books, manipulatives, and other important items inside there classrooms. A smaller class size would benefit the students the most. They could have more personal time with the teacher. Wouldn't it be nice if all of those options could be added?

Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that school systems need all of those. But they would probably benefit from an increase to the budget the most. An increased budget would allow for more supplies in the classroom, and maybe some updated books/ technology in the schools.

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

All of those things are important. I think that more teachers' aides would be a great benefit, because it is always good to have more people to help. An increase in budget would help schools have up to date and fun curriculum ideas, and what teacher wouldn't love a raise?!

Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that smaller classroom size would be my vote or to increast budget. But for the first to happen the second is going to have to come first. I think that children need those smaller classroom settings because of the different learning needs that each child has. In smaller classrooms the teacher would be able to focus on these needs better and meet each child at their level insteed of having to meet 30 children at all different levels, but in order for this to happen the budget is going to have to be raised to pay more teachers to handle the expand number of classes.

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thats a hard call to make. I think all 4 are needed, so it would be hard for me to decide.

Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 am
All-star
All-star

I would have to say an increase in the spending budget for schools. It seems that the schools could than hire more teachers which would lead to smaller classes. More teachers aides could also be afforded. The only thing that probably couldn't be helped would be teacher salary increase. As much as I would love to make more money I think that's a seperate issue that wouldn't exactly benefit the students.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This would be a really hard question to answer because all 4 things would be great for schools. I think smaller classes would help the most though. The attention students get when the classes are smaller is amazing. I think it really helps kids and it also helps teachers get closer with their students. Teachers are able to help the students that need extra help more also. There is more one one time and i think that would be great.

Kendall :D

Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the budget increase would be most beneficial... and the "aids" least beneficial. Yes, aids are a great thing to have... if they know what they are doing. But I know some teachers aids who had absolutely no clue what they should have been doing. You dont have to be certified to be an aid... and while they can help a lot, somtiems, they can just be in the way...

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:33 am

I believe all four are greatly needed in school systems. I don't believe I could choose only one, but if I had to I would say smaller class sizes. I believe smaller class sizes are greatly needed in all schools, because students are missing out on one-on-one time with their teachers. Teachers often run out of time and can not get to every student to answer their individual questions, thus sending the child home with homework that they do not understand how to do or finish.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm surprised and excited that so many of us have posted with the similiar viewpoints - with the importance of teachers' aid and increased school budget... I agree! But I wonder if that would be our answer after years of teaching... I wonder how our view would change - or would it?! Its easy to put the other options first when we are on this side of the table. I hope that these would continue to be our priorities! :)

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is really hard to pick one but if I had to I would pick smaller class sizes. Just because I believe it is so important for the teacher to be able to work one on work with each student and I know that this isn't possible for large classroooms.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the schools would benefit from an increase in budget. This would help out with having more money to spend on the school and their teachers. Teachers would be able to have more for their classroom and would seem like their salary would go up because they weren't spending as much on the classroom. However, all of those things are equally important.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:21 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 17 posts ]