View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 white privilege 
All-star
All-star

After reading the artilcle "white privilege, unpacking the invisible knapsack" i was susprised about how i felt some of the points in the article that the author made were so true in my life. I was wondering how everyone else felt about the article, if you think that whites really do have a unspoken white privilege and how you feel about it. :D

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that many of the topics applied to my life. I think it's sad that our society can't seem to get pass the color of someone and see the real person. White privilege is alive and well in many parts (if not all) of this country. So many stereotypes surround every race that it's almost impossible for people to overlook them; but it is very possible and we as teachers should emphasis this aspect in our classrooms!!!

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I got so hung-up on the flesh colored Band Aide idea, after all when I was watching the football game on Sunday, my wife said that she wondered if the players realized how ridiculous they looked with the breathe rite strips on their nose, and I thought that its not quite so noticeable on a white person.

cs60119@appstate.edu

Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:12 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I read the list of what I don't have to worry about in my everyday life, it make me think of this editoral I read in the Appalachian when I first started college. It was an African-American student who was commenting on how different life is for her up here. She commented on how she walked around campus and only saw 5-10 people that looked like her and on walking into the cafeteria and browsing not so much for her friends but at all non-white students that were all sitting together. Once I find the article, I'll post it but it just made me think about all stuff I do daily and take for granted.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is definately strange how easy it is for me to go on with my every day life withour realizing how much the color of my skin effects the way people act toward me. It is kind of hard to believe that non-whte people are treated differently until you look at the little aspects of life that we take for granted.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it would do us all some good to be in a room full of people or in a situation and be the minority. A couple years ago I saw a movie that was geared towards a black audience. I know, movies are dark places but, I could see enough around me to realize I was definitly not amongst my fellow white people as I uausally am. And knowing I was a minority in that theater left me feeling uncomfortable, ackward and out of my element. It surprises my now as I look back on the situation, it's most likely one of the few times I have been a minority and I can very much still feel those feelings. Imagine when those feelings are aware to kids and if or when do they become desensitize to the privilege white people are given verses any other color? So, yes there is such a thing called white privilege, I mean this country was founded by white right? Or, should I say, this country was founded with power and I know who holds the power cards in this country.

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Honestly, though I see the "privilege" and realize I take so much for granted, I am definately not about to feel bad for it. I didn't ask for it any more than any African American asked to be underprivileged. All I can do is acknowledge it, accept it, and use it to try to make the world a better (more fair) place.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I grew up with some family members who viewed white as being better than black. Their opinions have yet to change and that is hard for me because I don't see their prospective on color at all. I have learned on my own that the color of my skin doesn't make me any better than anybody else. But white privelage is a reality and is something that I don't really recognize daily but I know that it is there. I hope that as teacher that I can try to inform my students of this privelage and encourage them to strive to do something about this unfairness.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think we as white Americans do have privileges that other Americans may not have. The author's list of things is all true. People do treat you different if you are white. I think a lot of it has to do with how we were raised. Such as if you and your mom were riding through town and seen a person of a different race walking, didn't you automatically lock your doors. We are all guilty of contributing to this knapsack. I think it can change, but I think it will take time. Look how far we have come in forty years.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

White privilege is apart of our culture and that’s a shame. I most like everyone else never realized it until I read this article. It’s amazing how much we as white Americans take for granted.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like most of you, I also felt pretty guilty about reading the article on white priviledge. It was no suprise, really, because I know that as a white person I'm at an advantage. I don't think it's fair, and I do think that we can all work for change, but I think in order to do that we should really keep this idea in the front of our minds. Remembering the injustices in the world (even if they are in my favor) should help me to make sure that my own knapsack is at least open to others.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:12 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]