View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Praxis 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just wondering how everyone felt about the requirement of passing the Praxis to become a teacher.

I have problems with the test because I know people who would have been excellent teachers but had trouble with testing and passing the Praxis and had to change their major.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What I think is funny is you can go over the state line and have passed the PRAXIS with the scores you have, but fail in NC. NC has one of the highest scores of anywhere around. I think in all states it should be the same passing score. Why should NC have higher scores than TN or SC?

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had trouble myself with passing one part of the Praxis. I made me mad because more than likely I will teach in Alabama. In Alabama, you don't have to take the Praxis at all. However, if you have taken it, they will consider you as a Highly Qualified Teacher. This may mean more money, but I am not sure. I have a friend who took the Praxis about 15 times and finally had to change her major. I think it is sad that people who have an ambition to teach and can't because they can't pass it. Others pass it with flying colors and make horrible teachers.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:17 pm
All-star
All-star

To me, the Praxis is kinda like the EOG, or EOC. the state and goverments people think that a test score tells all. We all know that it doesnt, but knowing that wont necessarily get us all passing scores. In that light, I just feel like we should do our best and let it go. :roll:

Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Would it make a difference if the Praxis was free?

I think it makes a huge difference. If the test was free, people could take it multiple times instead of just changing their major. Taking both Praxis 1 and 2 can add up to be pretty pricey, and it seems kind of ridiculous that the state wants to increase teachers but charges them a notable sum to even take a test to see if they can become a teacher. We need some way of making sure that teachers know their stuff, but I'm not sure this is the best solution. Neither is the state legislature, since they have considered bills that would remove the Praxis 2 from the requirements of secondary teachers.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Mary that their should be some way of making sure that teachers are qualified to teach, such as some kind of test, but maybe not the praxis. To me, it seems like a money scam, just like the SAT's and other test. I don't see any changes in the near future, so I think we should just get ready to take it and go on.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:53 am
All-star
All-star

I also know people who have changed majors because they couldnt pass the praxis. I feel bad that that keeps them from teaching but on the other hand its scary for me to think that someone who couldnt pass the praxis could teach my kids. Im not saying that your not smart if you cant pass it but i feel that there should be some type of requirement. Also the people that i know who have had problems taking the praxis are smart they just have testing anxiety and i think that there should be another option for people like that. I do feel that there are other ways that people can prove that they have the capacity to teach, without proving it by taking some exam.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had no problem in passing the praxis, but at the same time I didn’t understand the point in taking it. Seems like a waste of a student’s money… and lord knows we don’t have much of it.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My experience with the Praxis (I've only taken the first one) was pretty bad. I took the paper test, and it was given in the worst testing environment and condition's I've ever had: bottom floor of Greer, hot, no a.c., no snacks or drinks, hours on end divided only by very short breaks (10 mins.), the administrator of the test clicked arouund the fake tile floor with her heels throughout the entire testing session... I could go on but will spare you any more details. I found it interesting that the test specifically geared toward up- and-coming educators defied every guideline that I had been given for fair testing conditions in my classes. Although I managed to do okay, the conditions blew my mind, and I'll opt for the computerized version of Praxis II.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I to had trouble on the praxis and don't think it had anything to do with becoming a teacher. I felt like the test was almost like the SAT. People becoming teachers do need to take some kind of test but it should be something that is actually about teaching. I mean I am terrible at taking tests and I think I would be a great teacher. I think it's right for some people and others it isn't.

Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had no trouble with the PRAXIS, but I know a lot of people who have. They not only start getting frustrated with themselves for not passing it, but they get frustrated that they are spending so much money. I don't think that the test shows exact results, some people are just not good test takers.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I didn't have any trouble passing the Praxis, but I know a lot of people who did have trouble and eventually switched majors. Some of these people had wanted to be teachers sinces they were six years old, but switched their majors because they couldn't pass the Praxis. I don't think that its fair to people who don't test well because the test doesn't measure their teaching abilities, which is what I think is more important.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I understand what you all are feeling. I had trouble passing the praxis one as well. I am just not a great test taker and that hurt me. As soon as I left the computer center I knew all of the answers. I don't feel that this is a good way to tell if one if qualified to be a teacher. Though I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to take the praxis 2 I can understand why everyone is so worried about it. I do feel that they need to come up with a better way of assessing who is qualified and ready to teach.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:21 pm

I too had trouble passing the PRAXIS, and feel it is a money scam. I do not take tests well, and this test showed nothing of my teaching ability it was all about my testing abililty. The test should be based around your teaching styles and abilities. I have not known anyone to change their major because they could not pass the PRAXIS, and this thought never even crossed my mind as I was failing the test over and over. I was just going to take a semester off and take it till I passed it, but that just means more money for the school. And where does that money go??
I am already dreading the PRAXIS II...

Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also have known a couple people that have had to change their majors because they just could not pass one or multiple parts of the Praxis. I do not agree with the Praxis being a requirement for graduation. Even if it was free, I do not believe that it shows our teaching ablities. I know that as an Elem Ed major, we get observed several times in the 3 semesters prior to graduation, and I think that is the best way to judge our abilities.

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I passed the Math and Writing part on my first try. It took me three times to pass the Reading part. I had to take a semester off because I did not have any classes left to take expect for those that you had to be admitted to the College of Ed. I was finally able to pass it. I am from Tennessee and the standards there are not as high as North Carolina. Although, there are some states that are higher, Virginia is higher than North Carolina. I think that the Praxis has both good and bad aspects. It provides the school systems with highly qualified teachers. Although, some people who would have made great teachers were unable to pass it due to the rigorous material.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:44 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 16 posts ]