View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 ASU's Education Department 

Ok, so on this board we've discussed a lot of problems and situations that we are going to have to face as teachers and all the possible improvements we can/should/want to make.
However, let's talk about the here and now. What do you think of ASU's education department. Do you feel you're ready to go out and mold young minds? Do you feel like the classes you have decided/were required to take have taught you what you need to know to feel as if you're going to do well? If so, what classes have they been? If not, what classes should ASU create? How can they change things?

Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think I'm ready to be thrown out into a classroom right now. I think we need more "real life" situation classes. Maybe classes to learn how to deal with discipline and all those "what if" situations. I know every situation is different but maybe some guidelines or starters would be helpful. I really like the classes that make you plan and teach in front of your peers, but college students don't react the same as children. I think putting us in classrooms earlier would be helpful instead of in our last years.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too think there should be more classroom experience earlier, besides like the tutoring we did in 2800. That was more like babysitting than anything. I substitute in my home town and I feel that has taught me more than any class I have ever taken up here. I know the methods classes come later in our block, so maybe we shouldn't feel too unprepared. I believe when we graduate we will be more than ready to enter a classroom.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with both Leslie and Melissa, I think more classroom experice earlier would be a big help, even if it is just observing. I really enjoy the classes that make you get used to being in front of the class and teaching. I also like the classes that get you into the classrooms by requiring observations. I think that by the time we graduate and are ready to go out on our own in the classrooms, we will be prepared.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:04 pm
All-star
All-star

Of the classes I have had to take, I think the science classes have been least helpful. They aren't taught at all towards education majors. The math classes I have taken have been geared towards math ed majors, mostly. There are no science ed classes... at least none Ive been to. They are all basic college science classes, at an intro level. The labs don't help get ideas... honestly, where is a middle school going to be able to get college level supplies, quantity or quality? I understand that to teach science, we need to have a basic foundation of knowledge in all fields of science, but i think a science methods class might be helpful. (maybe we have one, and I just havent gotten there yet?)

Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Two words… Classroom Management! I feel that ASU should offer a class dealing with this topic. I feel that overall that the school does a good job in giving us basic skills to help us in our quest to become future educators. However, the school tends to paint a pretty picture as to what the classroom will be when in reality it isn’t. I am in agreement that we need more time in the classroom “a luxury that I had in the art departmentâ€

Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am finishing up Block I, and after this semester I feel much better about having my own classroom. I think the Diversity class in Block is great, and I love going to a school once a week to spend all day in a classroom. I know that in Block II we have a Science Methods course and we have Math courses in Block I and II that are actually helpful. I would like a course that taught more on classroom management, but spending time in internships in Block I and Block II probably teach you more than a lecture class ever could. (I know that Block is just for Elem Ed majors, so I don't know if other teaching majors get the same amount of classroom time)

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have enjoyed and gotten the most out of my higher level classes than most of the lower education classes. One recommendation I have is to have a geography class geared towards education majors, specifically, elementary ed. I remember hearing how American students are not as globally orientated as their counterparts in Europe, China, etc... Of course geography is most likely taught in higher grades so, getting that subject introduced in the elementary classes would take a governmental, educatioanl, monumental revolution. But, as a elementary ed. major I do feel prepared to teach in the classrooms and I feel lucky to have the classroom experience I have received by being in Block I and will get in II. I have heard though that secondary majors do not have as much oppertunity to be in the classrooms, perhaps that could/should change?

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I am in Block 1 right now and I love the experience that I get every week when we go out to the schools. Through experience I am able to see what not to do and what to do as a teacher. I feel like we should be able to have more time out in teh schools because the theories, lessons, and activities we talk about in class sound great, but do they really truelly work in real life? I feel like if we had more time to be out in the schools, we could find out whether or not some of these methods work or not. So far my CI 3000 Diversity class has helped me tremendously. This is a new class, which I think that we desparatley need because of No Child Left Behind.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Being that I am majoring in family and consumer science secondary education, I really haven't experienced the ASU education department like you other majors. I am not required to do the block semester like you guys are. But I will say that I don't think that you can be fully prepared for teaching in a college classroom. My mom, who is an APP alumni and has just retired from being a fourth grade teacher, tells me that all the time. She says you can take as many classes as you want but it is not until you are actually teaching and have your own classroom do you really feel better prepared. She also says that teaching is a learning process, you live in learn as you go.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have become very frustrated with the Education Department at ASU.
I feel that I am learning nothing of value that I will actually use in the classroom, and I have talked to current student teachers who tell me the same thing. Reading In Content Areas is a complete JOKE and a waste of my time/money.

I'm going to teach history, and I think we should be allowed to take more history courses in order to broaden our knowledge of the content.
I also think that Issues In Teaching U.S. History and Issues In Teaching World History should be added as required courses for secondary ed, history majors. I have gotten a lot out of that class, and I will be taking those teaching notes with me when I begin student teaching in the Spring of 2005.

The bottom line is: you cannot teach how to teach. You need to experience it yourself.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with everyone who has mentioned more in-class experiences, but I think we need more than that. I think we should be planning and giving lessons, having them videotaped and then be able to discuss them with professors. I did this once in CI 3100 (Teaching High School Social Science) but I think we need so much more. Perhaps student teaching will address this lack of practical experience. I also agree with the thought that we need to talk more about classroom management techniques and not just give them a cursory glance. I think Literacy, TEch, and Instruction ought to be combined with Reading in the Content Areas for 1 three hour class and I think we should possibly create a two hour credit class for the classroom management and role playing exercises.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:39 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]