View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dress? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Kindof off topic but after looking at the website on dress it made me think about students dress and how the type of clothing being worn seems to be being pushed down to lower age groups. What do you think the cause of this is and should something be said to a Kindergartener girl who has choosen to wear something, lets say, not up to code. Does she really understand what older students and adults are appling towards her? Or should it just be said to her that this is not appropriate? What sterotype does this begin to build in their head?

Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that from about third grade on, kids are very much aware of their clothing versus their peers'. To me, it is sad that forms of media (TV, Movies, Magazines in the check out line, internet, comics, ect.) are imprinting young minds and older minds, too, let's face it. Every person is bombarded with thin, sleek, sexy, handsome, hip, fresh, bling, whatever. And yes, it can be distracting in school, but we can not take away children's evolving identities unless their parents choose to put them in a school with very strict dress codes or uniforms. I will not be teaching elementry, but no matter how old, if a girl or guy comes in and I can see through, see nipples, G-Strings, ect., ect., he or she is going to get a private talk and a little walk somewhere out of the class room.
To me it is a professional environment. Even know I want it to be fun and playful.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel that the cause of children wearing unappropriate clothing is due to the media. Children see what clothing is being worn and want to wear it to. They may not undersatnd the implications of the clothes they wear, but they know that people who wear those clothes are popular because they see their faces on t.v., in the movies, and on magazines. Children want to be known and noticed like people of the media so they wear what they see. It is the parents job to monitor the children's t.v., but parents won't and can't always be there. As a society we need to become more aware of the effects clothing and the media have on the younger generations. The clothing that the children see and want to wear make them want to grow up fast, too fast. There are limitations of what children should wear and not wear.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Amanda! I feel that children see clothes in the media, especially on music stars or movie stars and children see adults wanting to be like them so they do too. I feel that children should be told if they are wearing something that is not appropriate for school. Also, if they are young enough to maybe not understand, you could suggest to a parent that they dress their child in more appropriate clothes for school. After all, schools have dress codes that apply to every one attending!

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:23 pm
All-star
All-star

A high school girl I worked with really liked to dress in a way that attracted attention from males. She wore tight jeans, tight shirts, black lacey underwear that showed, anything to get a little attention. I talked to her about it one day, and she was proud that she had a body that can attract men. I think it is important for young women to understand that there is more to a relationship than sex, and a sex based relationship is usually unhealthy for high school students. It is very difficult to change ideas like this that teenage girls carry around, but maybe a talk with this kind of student can give them a little more self respect. We shouldn’t judge students by the way they dress, and maybe they don’t always understand the messages they are sending.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The media has made a huge impact on our children. I mean we have third graders wearing shirts with the word "Sexy" written on the front. This sends the wrong message to young kids. Our children are watching Britney Spears change from a young teen singer to a seductive adult singer and they don't seem to understand what's going on. They look up to her and others like her in the media. They feel that it is okay b/c their stars that they idolize dress that way. One day I was standing outside the bathroom waiting on my class. We were talking about story book characters they could dress up as and in all seriousness one child screamed out "Britney Spears!" So for now, the media is sending out the completely wrong message to our young children and I think in some ways it needs to be censored to an extent.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree media has a huge impact on the way students choose to dress in today's society. Elementary age as well as middle school students are influenced by their parents (who else buys them the clothes?). Personally I'm in favor of uniform school dress codes.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:42 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]