View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Nathan and the Addict 
All-star
All-star

Which was the greater purpose and greater underlying force for Nathan's actions: The need to save souls; or the need for redemption? I believe it was redemption. This need for redemption and Nathan's guilt were the catalyst from which his passionate/obsessive desire to save souls resulted. The need to save souls was merely Nathan's way of self medicating himself. In my opinion, Nathan's actions-- grounded in GUILT and NEED FOR REDEMPTION rather than in LOVE for Christ--were self-destructive and detrimental to those around him. It was not Nathan's desire to save souls that I did not respect, it was his METHOD for saving souls. He reminded me of an alcoholic. Nathan was as abusive, detached, self destructive and as self medicating. As with the alcoholic, I could understand and have compassion for the pain that Nathan felt, but I could not respect and condone his actions. Did anyone else think of the similarity between Nathan and the alcoholic?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:08 pm
All-star
All-star

I do not know if I would place him as an alcoholic, but he is addicted in some way. He is addicted in his quest for redemption and no one can tell him otherwise. If he was on a quest for God then he would be loving the Congolese people as well as his family and he would sacrifice all to benefit those he loved. Instead, he pushes all aside and is lost to the world.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]