View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Attendance 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How did the attendance policy affect your coming to class? Would you change the policy if you taught the class, how?

Delta Tau Delta- Iota Kappa
Phi Eta Sigma
ASU Men's Leadership Circle
IFC
ASU Resident Adviser- Mnt. Apts.
MRSA

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

The attendance policy didn't have an affect on whether or not I came to class. I came every day, the same as I would have done if there had been an attendance policy. And, if I had been sick I would have stayed home whether or not there was an attendance policy. I'm really now sure how I would change the attendance policy if I were teaching the class. I think that ideally, the policy (or lack thereof) that Dr. Turner had was ideal. If you're in college, and paying money to take classes.. then you should be the one to decide if you want to come and get your money's worth or stay home and do something else. The fact that it does have an affect on the rest of the class (because ours is a discussion-based class) is what makes it more difficult to decide what the policy should be. I'm not sure what I would do.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would definitely like to see some type of policy that makes it beneficial for students to come to class, or have some type of way for students who are in class to have an advantage over students who were not in class.

Delta Tau Delta- Iota Kappa
Phi Eta Sigma
ASU Men's Leadership Circle
IFC
ASU Resident Adviser- Mnt. Apts.
MRSA

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At this point in our college careers we are adults and I think that the decisions we make affect ourselves. In the case of the attendance policy, I think not having one reflects the students will power and determination to learn. I do understand that with not having one you are held less accountable for missing, but you hold yourself accountable when you miss the information. I think that if I had a choice of whether to have an attendance policy or not, I would say no. I would emphasize that the material that will be covered in class will vital to make a good grade, and so therefore if you want to do well you must attend.

Thu May 01, 2008 9:07 am
All-star
All-star

I believe in a class like this an attendance policy is not necessarily needed. At the beginning of the semester we were given the study guide which we knew we were responsible for. There were a lot of questions in there that I would not know how to answer if I had not been in class to hear the discussion. I also agree with Kristi in that were should be at the point in our college careers that we should be able to make the decision about going to class. Yes there are some classes that can be skipped every once in awhile, but you should be able to make the call.

Thu May 01, 2008 10:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Personally i don't feel that an attendance policy is necessary. I feel that since we are adults and mostly upper classmen we should know our responsibilities. It really didn't affect me coming to class or not. But i know in a few of my other classes there was a very strict policy and it was very hard to miss especially if something came up. Especially when the whole flu epidemic went around this semester, it seems like almost every one had it in some form or another. I know that i was out of class for almost week. So there went my 2 absences in that class. I just feel that there shouldn't be a policy especially if you get all your work done. If you don't come to class it is your loss. But in a way i do understand where the teachers are coming from.

Thu May 01, 2008 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]